Sunday, May 26, 2013

Introduction to Rachelle Briton's Battle with CSO


My name is Rachelle Briton and I work in multiple areas of fashion. My titles in fashion are fashion/costume designer, wardrobe stylist, artist, trend forecaster, and trend-setter. Currently I am the Style Ambassador in Austin for Harper's Bazaar Magazine. I've worked in many different areas of fashion, including the F.I.G. in Dallas and as a celebrity wardrobe stylist for MTV and TRL back in the day in NYC. I found my way back to Texas and started my first collection Rachelle Briton Designs. I then got hitched to my hubby Brian and we rescued the most fabulous dog "Prissy Pants". Life was legend...wait for it…dary; but I hadn't really experienced real life yet, it was lurking around a dark corner.

I would describe my life as a roller coaster that has the highest highs and the lowest lows, with twists and turns along the way.

It's like waiting in line to jump on a ride and not being sure you want to enter because you can't turn back and you just don't know what to expect.

I literally had over night success. I shot up to the top and my first fashion show had over 1,000 seated women. My career was going so fast and I had to quit my other job. In the blink of an eye the roller coaster ended up flipping me upside down and I hit rock bottom.

First our house and my studio was filled with mold (from the previous owners) so we had to move out into a tiny studio apartment. I then became very ill.  I ended up going to the Mayo Clinic twice and had four surgeries over the past year and a half. After two years of searching for answers, I have finally been diagnosed with Chronic Sclerosing Osteomyelitis. This extremely rare jaw infection causes my right lower jaw to rash and swell,  and causes excruciating pain which cannot be treated with antibiotics.

My career and life slipped through my fingers like sand. I can no longer work or drive due to the condition that I am currently in and the medication I have been prescribed. I feel like my life is stuck but after years of searching, there is hope. I am going to have my next surgery in Miami, on July 18, 2013, which will involve removing most of the lower part of my right jaw, and replacing the area with a titanium chain. Then, six to twelve months later, I will go back to Miami to have a bone graft performed (bone will be taken from my hips and lower leg). My jaw will have to be wired shut for roughly six weeks in order to allow the bone to set.

Finally, after another six months of healing, we will begin the process of implanting teeth back into that area of my mouth that has been affected. At that time, I should be pain free and hopefully getting back on my feet to follow my dreams again.

To be quiet honest it is very hard for me. You see I am a go-getter kind of person. My husband has set up a charity for me to help reduce the debt from previous medical bills, and to help pay for the upcoming surgeries in Miami. The link is below:

http://www.youcaring.com/medical-fundraiser/rachelle-s-trip-to-miami-for-surgery-5-jaw-resection-/58786

It is humiliating to ask for help. Ironically, I was the one doing charity fashion shows and raising money for people in need, but now I am one of those who need assistance.

Some words to describe me: fun, silly, blunt, creative, interesting.

I am starting a blog for 3 reasons: Therapy for me, for people who care for me who want to know how I am, and for people fighting a rare disease to find comfort. I am not seeking attention or intend for you to feel bad for me. You asked for it and here it is, the pure,  at times ugly, and beautiful truth.

I once felt like a princess of fashion and beauty. But after all that has transpired, will I ever feel like I had before…or will the scares remain for ever more. But please know, I fully intend to reign again.

Xoxo
Rachelle Briton

14 comments:

  1. How do you manage to keep such a positive outlook in such frustrating circumstances?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie,
      To be honest I try to keep a positive outlook on my life but sometimes it seems impossible. I like to surround myself with my friends and my family. Go for walks and image what life will be like after the surgery. I try to think about what I forward will be doing in the future and what I can do now to help me along the path. For example for fun I am thinking of applying to the top 5 Fashion Programs in America to get my PHD, so that I can teach fashion if my body is not sustainable to run a clothing line. Running a clothing line and getting ready for a show takes weeks of sleepless nights, you live on coffee, and basically all you wear is black because you don't have tome to think about dressing. But the biggest way to stay positive to be centered in my heart and have a strong relationship with my God.

      Delete
  2. Who has been your greatest inspiration or role model?

    Ps. Love you bunches!!!!! Xoxoxo :)

    6:45pm ?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a tricky one so I will give you my top 5

      1. My Grandmother- she use to sell her designs to Neiman Marcus. I did not find this out until I was like 22, ironically at this point in my life I was already a designer. My mom did't even know that my Grandmother designed (what!?!) until I discovered this and told my mom.

      2. Valentino- He makes the most beautiful couture clothing in the world, and he is the longest man in history to have a couture fashion label. It has been sad for me to watch him retire.

      3. Karl Lagerfeld- He took over Channel and he also created Fendi. His is also extremely creative with his fashion shows. They are mind blowing. He also a very iconic look to him that says "I'm Karl" : )

      4. My biggest inspirations are music, music videos, concerts, ballets, nature, rock starts, the show Gossip Girl (had the best clothes ever on TV), movies like the "Hunger Games", technology, jewelry, dreams, beauty trends, and much much more.

      5. Alexander McQueen in my opinion was the greatest creative fashion designer of all time. He has timeless pieces that will live on forever. He was the kind of designer that would make your mouth drop to the ground. He will deeply be missed R.I.P

      Delete
  3. What would be your advice to others facing similar situations?

    -Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would tell them to keep there head up. Everything works out in the end and trust me I know what I am talking about. It's hard for people sometimes to even believe me because my chin flairs up and then down. I'm always in chronic pain but people can not see it physically at times and they think you are fine. If you encounter those people in your life leave them at the door; you don't want people that don't believe in helping you, find healing. These people stand in the way and walk around them. I would also suggest support groups I am in one now that my therapist put together. It is nice sometimes to have people you can relate to that aren't your family. If you or anyone one is suffering in this journey please talk to me I would love to help. Do you have any advice for people like me?

      Delete
  4. What do you do as style Ambassador

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being a Harper's Bazaar Style Ambassador is so fun. Basically they send me things to review like beauty products. I also make Pinterest boards for example; what would I need to bring for a summer road trip ( I will make a collage). They will also send me over to different places the last make over I got was form Dior and I got my face made over. They gave me a awesome shirt and bag and for me to wear for my adventures to come. I'm also involved in a large network of Style Ambassadors form all different cities in the world and we talk about fashion. Since I can't work now. This gives me the opportunity to love fashion without going to the extreme. I get great fashion benefits I can't complain.

      Delete
  5. Rachelle, I can't imagine how much you have been going through but will be praying for you! The wedding dress you made for me was so beautiful! I am so blessed to have had the opportunity to work with you and to have worn a one of a kind wedding dress designed by Rachelle Briton on that special day. You will get through this with God's help and come out even stronger. So glad they know what's wrong and how to fix it finally. I hope you are able to raise some money. We will make a donation. Do they know how this sickness came about? Was it linked to the mold? Amanda Logan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amanda,
      I am so glas you loved you wedding dress! I was only able to make 3 more one of a kind wedding dresses after yours. Obviously, because I became terribly sick. I have people ofter ask me to make one for them but I am not able to in my condition. The sickness could have come through 3 triggers getting my tonsils taken out which I did when I was 20. Taking my wisdom teeth out at 18. Or it could have just been a cracked tooth and the infection snuck it's way in there and multiplied. They do not think the mold was related but they think it made it worse. It also made all the other symptoms I have much worse. We moved out and have a nice sterile place now to live in. Thank you for thinking of me XOXOXO

      Delete
  6. As I was performing my own internet search for answers about chronic osteomyelitis and the treatment and outcome from bone graft surgery I came upon your page. I developed my condition after wisdom teeth removal in February. Thankfully I was lucky enough to find an infectious disease doctor who listened to me instead of brushing it aside as every other dentist and surgeon has done. I know how taxing the hospital stays, daily IV treatments through a PICC line, and the emotional stress that comes along with it. It is frustrating to not be able to explain everything you feel. I understand and hear time and time again from people to be thankful it isn't cancer and I am but, to have your life taken over by such a ruthless disease...well just sucks. It was refreshing to finally see that I am not alone in this battle and to read your words of encouragement. I will have my own bone graft scheduled this week and wish you luck and recovery in your own battle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimber,
      I am so glad you found my page. I really want to try and connect with people that have this specific problem. So that we can know that "somewhere out there" we are not alone. However, I am sorry to hear that you have CSO. It took me like 2 months to recover. I have gone through everything you have and hated every second. However, I have not had the bone graft yet. I am really nervous about that. I guess that is the last step. Did they use your hip bone? How are you feeling? I have to tell myself that there is a reason that I have this.... or I think I would drive myself crazy. I know it is not the worse disease in the world... but since it is so rare not very many people know what it is, and it kinda even makes it more scary. I guess the unknown is the worse thing. Do you live in the US? I ask because it is awesome that your doctors caught it so fast. I've had it severe pain for 2 years now. In October I have to get a CT to make sure all the infection is gone. If it is (crossing my fingers) I will have my bone graft in December. Sorry I was out of touch for so long. It's been a rough recovery but, each day is a little bit better. I am finally feeling more normal and doing things again. I hope the same goes for you. You are in my thoughts and prayers and I hope to here from you soon.

      Delete
  7. Hi there, I just read this and couldnt believe it, you are my CSO twin, I literally just had the amputation of my jaw and stem cell/cadaver bone graft surgery less than 2 weeks ago after suffering with CSO of the right mandible for almost 7 years. Dr. Berger in San Diego did the surgery and so far I'm healing well, I just got out of the hospital 6 days ago and recovering at home with my husband and family taking care of me. I would love to talk to you regarding your experience and also if you ever need someone to vent to I know first hand how this disease robs you of your life, is so misunderstood etc. Take care. xoxo Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wendy, How are you feeling? Are you fully recovered? How long has it taken you to get back into normal life? Is there normal life after CSO? I am so glad that you found my blog. I tried to e-mail months ago but I guess it never found you. I hope you are feeling better. I had CSO since 2009 and just found out what it was about 2 years ago. It totally robs you of everything in life, you are so right about that! I'm glad there's people like you out there that I can relate to. But honestly there aren't very many people at all that have this disease. I am about to have my jaw amputated in like… a week so I would love any feedback or advice you could give me. I am really nervous about how the titanium is going to feel in my jaw. My doctor feels like it is safer to do in 2 phases so I won't get my bone graft for another 6 months. I would love to hear more about your experience and your doctor. Sometimes people e-mail me and I only have a few suggestions for them concerning medical care. I hope your life is better than ever. Take care twin. XOXO

    ReplyDelete