Thursday, February 20, 2014

Path to Recovery: The Days Following Latest Surgery

Rachelle is recovering from her latest jaw surgery which took place on February 12, 2014, in Miami, Florida. I wanted to provide a quick update regarding her post-op progress and overall health, from my perspective (as her husband).

GIRL

To begin, I've never met a stronger and more courageous person than my wife, Rachelle. She volunteered at the Fashion Industry Gallery for 3 years, while working for BCBG and being an active member of Alpha Chi Omega (where she often volunteered at the battered women's shelter which is their philanthropy), and participated in 2 different internships while attending college. 


After she graduated from Baylor University, she worked as a wardrobe stylist for MTV, worked a full-time job, and created her own fashion label Rachelle Briton Designs. She has also worked with a number of charitable organizations using her talent in various ways.


Additionally, Rachelle has also made a commercial with FedEx for her business, and more recently was a set costumer and assistant costume designer for an upcoming feature film. Although she is unbelievably talented at so many things, including designing, styling, singing, dancing, acting, etc..., her greatest attribute is clearly her caring personality and overall beauty as a human being, inside and out. She has a passion for helping others and does so every opportunity she can.





Per Rachelle's wishes I would like to include this message from a man who follows this blog. He recently e-mailed her about his wife's struggles which that deeply touched her heart and wanted to share with you.  

"Eight years ago, my wife Heather was diagnosed with mesothelioma; a rare cancer that kills most people within 2 years of diagnosis.  She had just given birth to our daughter Lily, and was only given 15 months to live.  After a life saving surgery that included the removal of her left lung, LungLeavin’ Day was born.  On February 2, 2014, we celebrated 8 years of Heather being cancer free.


The purpose of LungLeavin’ Day is to encourage others to face their fears!  Each year, we gather around a fire in our backyard with our friends and family, write our biggest fears on a plate and smash them into the fire.  We celebrate for those who are no longer with us, for those who continue to fight, for those who are currently going through a tough time in their life, and most importantly, we celebrate life! 
This year & next, we ask that you help spread the word about LungLeavin’ Day.  We created an interactive page mesothelioma.com/heather/lungleavinday that tells the full story of our special day. Although the day has passed, we hope you will still check it out"

FASHION
All I have seen are hospital gowns...so I'll let her update you on this one shortly. 

PAIN
Rachelle underwent her last surgery this February to treat Chronic Scerlosing Osteomyelitis.

During the surgery, Dr, Marx amputated roughly 3 inches of diseased bone from her right lower jaw, and replaced the bone with a titanium chain in order to secure the area (pictured below). In addition to amputating the bone, Dr. Marx had to remove one more tooth, the main nerve which runs through the lower jaw, and inserted 8 screws into the non-affected jaw bone to secure the titanium chain. He also had to make incisions along the entire lower jaw in order to seat the titanium chain properly, so in addition to everything else going on in her mouth, she also has to deal with nearly 100 stitches in her mouth.

As Dr. Marx had no other choice but to cut the nerve in her right lower jaw during this major surgery, Rachelle will now be numb on the right side of her lower jaw permanently. He did say that other nerves close to that area may extend and help her potentially regain some feeling in the jaw one day, but he cannot say for sure.

As this surgery was pretty extensive, Rachelle had to stay in the hospital for 5 days to ensure everything was healing as expected. As of now, she is still on a semi-liquid diet, and is expected to be in moderate-severe pain for the foreseeable future. 

Assuming the infection has been removed, we will be coming back to Miami in 6-8 months so she can have a bone graft of the area, which will require her mouth to be wired shut for several weeks. Another 6-12 months following that surgery, Rachelle will hopefully be able to start receiving dental implants.


Following Partial Jaw Resection
July 2013 (above)

Following Jaw Resection
February 2014 (above)


1 comment:

  1. Brian- Thank you so much for picking up my slack and writing my blog for me while I am healing. It's hard for me to write my blog sometimes, because it's about me. It's hard in general to write about the medical facts without getting upset, much less trying to make it understandable for an audience to read. I also struggle with trying to help others by letting them know that there are others, like me, out there that can help or just relate to their situation, without sounding like I want a pity party (which I don't want any part in)!

    Anyways, when I read the blog I cried. It was just so beautiful to me. The way you write, the way that you love me through my faults, sickness, my low's... it is unreal. I honestly can say God knew what he was doing when he put us together. I love you more than anything. Your my happily ever after. XOXOX- Rachelle

    ReplyDelete