Monday, February 3, 2014

A Super-sized Week

THIS GIRL

Had a fun, yet a little nerve-wracking weekend. We had a rehearsal dinner, wedding, and then the Super Bowl. Friday night we went to Luling, TX, for Chris and Kristine's rehearsal dinner. Brian and my sister-in-law Jennifer Keily set up the stage, did sound check, and practiced a song they were going to perform at the end of Kristine's vows as a surprise for her groom. 

Honestly, it was weird being the stagehand. I'm so used to Brian helping me set up all the equipment for fashion shows, it was nice to help him by returning the favor for once. Brian has been my stagehand and many other things, countless times. I am blown away with Brian and Jen's talent. It was beautiful to watch the whole process unfold from initially learning the song at home to playing it live in front of hundreds of guests on the wedding day. 

As far as the dinner was concerned, Chris' dad made the best pork chops I've ever eaten in my life. I wish I could give you a recipe or a place to go but some things are just better when they are homemade.

A glimpse of Brian and Jennifer rehearsing "Songbird" Friday night



On Saturday, we went to Chris and Kristine Zaiontz's wedding at Zedler Event Center in Luling, TX. Jennifer sang a beautiful rendition of Fleetwood Mac's "Songbird", while Brian assisted her with his mad guitar skills. God has given Brian and his sister's the beautiful gift of music, which comes from my mother-in-law Kim Miller. Brian played a Paul Reed Smith, SE Angleus, blonde acoustic guitar that will soon be for sale on Guitar Maverick. It was a beautiful wedding with lots of laughter, surprises, and fun. Kristine designed and made all the decorations for the reception. A bride-to-be even stopped by the wedding reception to see what the event center would look like in action. She liked it so much that she asked to buy all the decorations Kristine made!


My beautiful niece Brooklyn who was a bridesmaid on Saturday


Friday and Saturday were so exciting but yet so exhausting that I slept almost the whole day on Sunday. This means I missed the big game and a great time with my friends... I'm so sad the Denver Broncos lost. I Really thought Peyton Manning was finally going to get that 2nd Super Bowl ring just like his brother, but I guess it wasn't meant to be this year (he still has time). At least I didn't have to sit through the agony of watching the defeat. As far as the halftime performance, I love Bruno Mars. He is amazing and the Red Hot Chili Peppers are my favorite band of all time. 




FASHION

This week we received some exciting news. My friend and wonderful musician/performer, Larissa Ness' song "Get To It" debuted on National Television. Larissa and I became friends around 2010. We both are persistent, have big dreams, passionate, creative, innovative, and are extremely driven (my husbands kind words). Austin, Texas isn't the easiest place in the world to make it as a Pop Star or Fashion Designer, but we haven't let that hold us down. We instantly had a lot in common when we first met, and have worked together on lots of projects including charity events, concerts, fashion shows, and photo shoots.  

Larissa Ness was surprised with news that her song "Get To It" was showcased on the hit TV show Abby's Ultimate Dance Competition (Lifetime). Please visit Larissa's website to see the dancer perform to Larissa's hit song on http://larissaness.com/get-to-it-featured-on-abbys-ultimate-dance-competition/ . Before it ever hit TV, Larissa and I had a blast working together for her Sneak Peak Album Release Concert. I designed and styled the costumes for Larissa, her band, and dancers. Larissa had the idea that I should design Mad Hatter Hat's for the band and it was amazing! Once she put that idea in my mind, I just ran with it and I'm very proud of the final product. In fact, the hats have been soo popular that people from all over the world started purchasing them. Larissa's inspiration for the Mad Hatter hats has turned into one of my top sellers.

This lady is truly amazing, vocally she is perfection on an album, and when she sings live it's just as good if not better. We have both come a long way together, it would mean a lot to me if you would take the time to visit her website, download her music, and/or follow her on social media. I promise you will see her name in big lights soon... in Larissa's words "get to it". Please support my friend and her big dreams!


Here is a reel from her Sneak Peak Album Release Concert. Larissa and her companions on stage are all wearing designs by me, Rachelle Briton.




This picture is of us behind the scenes during a photo shoot for some of her newest singles. Larissa's wearing a dress I designed, and named "Inhibitions" after her song. 


PAIN

I'm going to Miami in about a week to see Dr. Marx for a wide jaw resection.  The resection will include removing my jaw bone extending from my TMJ to the right mandible near chin, and a titanium chain will replace the amputated bone. In order to remove the jaw bone, he will make an incision on the right side of my neck, and work from underneath the jaw. The titanium will stay in my jaw forever, even after the bone graft is implanted about 6 months later. 

The surgery will happen in 2 phases. The first phase is going to be less complicated than the second. Usually, a successful wide jaw resection removes all of the infection and necrotic bone. However, there is always a chance that the disease might linger. That's why I have to wait 6 months before I am able to receive the bone graft. 

I have full faith in Dr. Marx as he is a remarkable oral surgeon. He's published 9 books including Osteomyelitis of the Jaw. He is Chief of the Maxillofacial Department at the University of Miami and teaches there as well. He educates and performs seminars for oral surgeons around the world on the latest research and treatments on a variety of topics. When it comes to CSO and jaw cancer, he is simply the best.

This week, I have many things to do in order to be prepare for surgery. Today, Brian and I went to go see my pain management Dr. at Austin Pain Associates  to get all my post operative instructions. I happened to notice this encouraging sign about exercise and pain. 

If you have chronic pain like me and don't exercise you will still have pain. If you have chronic pain and do exercise you will still have pain, but it won't be as intense, and you will release endorphins which will make you happier and more pleasant to be around. For those out there fighting chronic pain or illness...let this little chart be at least one reason to work out… doctors orders! 




No comments:

Post a Comment